Friday, March 18, 2011

Thank the Thankless

How many times in life can we honestly say, "I did it all by myself?"  Whether we succeeded on a test or in the field of play, there are always others that helped us achieve our goals.  I recently attended a beautiful charity concert that was put together by myself and a number of others.  When it all came together so nicely, I could only feel humbled and thankful for its success.  When I reflected on how this success was achieved I realized that I had little, if anything, to do with it. 

When we achieve something I hope we take time to thank all those involved; even those who may not be so obvious.  I watched an NCAA basketball game and as the winning team celebrated one player walked over and shook the referee's hand.  I saw a student who stayed after school to work with a teacher last week thank her for staying after.  I heard my son say during dinner tonight, "Thanks to whoever made this dinner for us."  All of these gracious thoughts are healthy for not only the person receiving the "thanks," but also for the one giving the "thanks." 

It's hard to be our best when we are not grateful for the things that aren't so obvious.  Let's take time to thank the thankless this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment