Sunday, September 4, 2011

Putting Your Whole Self In

It was 102 degrees in St. Louis on September 1st and my kids wanted to hit the pool.  We put on our swimsuits, got our towels, and walked over to the pool knowing this may be one of our last visits there this summer.  Upon entering, my children immediately threw themselves into the water with reckless abandon.  Meanwhile, I sat on a chair and watched from the pool deck.  I just wasn't sold on getting wet.  While I sat there sweating in this oppressive heat, my son shouted out, "Dad, what are you doing?  Did you just come here to sit on the side?  Get in here!"  His simple but wise plea awakened me.  I immediately hopped in the water and I must admit it felt pretty good.  But, that was not enough for my eldest son.  "Dad, you didn't even get your hair wet.  If you're gonna swim, you got to put your whole self in the water.  That's how you cool off!"  Again, I took his advice and submerged my "whole self" (including my head) underwater.

I wonder how often we miss out on something "better" because we are hesitant to put our "whole self in."  What a sad way to live--to only give a portion of what we have to our endeavors.  I am convinced that the deeper we place our self in anything we do, the greater our potential for joy.  In other words, the greater the self investment, the greater the joy (and disappointment) we open ourselves to experience.  Too many of us avoid the profound self investment in fear of experiencing failure.  In reality, that is letting fear guide our life decisions...which is no way to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment